August 29th, A Wiener Schnitzel Please and a Traumatic Experience
I went back to one of my favorite restaurants with Rachael and ordered a Cordon Bleu Wiener Schnitzel. It was delicious and huge!! Afterwards we decided to walk around to a place we never really been before. We headed over towards Herrengasse, where we came upon a antique flea market. I know this was bad of me to think this, but I had to write it or say it. There were a lot of old stuff there, which led me to wonder if some of the merchandise that was for sale was stuff that had once belonged to the Jews. I can imagine the Nazis taking their processions and keeping it to themselves, eventually passing it on to someone else, which eventually wind up at an antique flea market years later. Ok…creepy thought I guess. You never know… We ran into this one guy who started going off on how horrible our political system is America and how stupid Bush is and how horrible Obama is and how that we, the young generation, should not vote for a politician who is corrupt religiously. I just wanted to tell that guy that he should run for our presidency, since he knows how a country should be run. It was funny because there was an American woman next to us, who began to argue with him. Whatever. Later that night, I helped the professor take back some bikes to her in-laws. We stopped at Schonbrunn and enjoyed some nice and refreshing local white wine. It was really good. Makes me wish that I had it sooner! I was able to visit a typical Austrian house and family. It was hard to see what the house setting was like. There was a big courtyard that was open to different houses. I walked into the household and was warmly greeted. I learned that the father speaks German and English, while the mother spoke German and French, as well as the daughter. I really wished that I grew up in a bi-lingual household. It was really impressive to see how they communicated with each other in three different languages. It was nice to meet locals and get to know them. After leaving, I had the most traumatic and interesting experience that I had throughout the whole trip! The neighborhood that we were in was a red light district. Prostitution is legal in Austria (Pepper spray is illegal, yeah that was random) and so it was okay for prostitutes to pick up business in any part of Vienna pretty much, I think. Anyways, the professor and I were about to cross the street to catch the streetcar when all of a sudden a white van pulled up with three men in it. They said something in German, which I didn’t understand. However, according to the professor, one guy said “Good evening…” The professor kind of waved them off and they drove off...yeah. Apparently they thought we were prostitutes. It was kind of funny and horrifying. It was a great way to end my trip in Vienna.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment