After class, we went to Schatzkammer, the Imperial Treasury Museum. Who knew how much stuff the Royal family and Church can acquire. I am very fascinated with the idea of relics. There were relics that consisted of bones of Saints, a piece of the manger scene, a piece of wood that came from the cross of Christ, and even Christ's loin cloth. It is unbelievable of just how many there were in this museum. I had counted somewhere around 84. Of course there are probably more stored somewhere else. But just think of how many there are across the world. It is almost like a cult. Relics heavily emphasized the sacred power of the kingship in the Holy Roman Empire. Relics were also a way for royalty to legitimize their power and authority. Around 1350, relics had begun to reach a new level of height. More and more relics were appearing. One interesting relic that I happened upon was the Reliquary of the True Cross. Around the 4th century A.D.m the Byzantines had looked down on the German because the Germans didn't own such a piece as exquisite as the cross on which Christ died upon. Somehow by not owning such a relic, the Germans were not able to probe their legitimacy. They had no symbol of authority. Eventually the Germans were able to obtain the Reliquary of the True Cross. It consists of a piece of wood that has a whole in it where a nail had went through Christ's body and into the cross. The piece of wood was soaked with Christ's blood, which apparently is the most precious thing that Christ had left behind. A lot of people back then had traveled to a place where they had a certain relic, which held healing powers or some sort of power to help those in need. It is funny how wide spreading and addicting these relics were back then. There were many crowns, scepter, robes of the emperor and kings, and even the Holy Roman Empire Book of Gospels in which a king would take his oath on. It was a very fascinating place. On display was also the worlds largest emerald. And the best part of all in my opinion was a display of jewelry that was once owned by Princess Stephanie of Belgium who had married into the Habsurg family. Nice. I think they should belong to me, right? Afterwards, we walked around Vienna. I actually went inside a McDonald's, to use the restrooms and get some water. It was very nice and clean. They had curly fires!! I came upon this nice park where there were many statues of famous musicians, such as Strauss and Schubert. It was nice to sit down and observe the Viennese. It was a nice busy day and tomorrow I will not wake up to an alarm. Some friends and I are trying to plan a trip to Salzberg and Bratislav. Apparently Slovakia is not on the Euro and there dollar is a lot weaker than the U.S. dollar. I can't wait for the weekend. We had some rain here and it was refreshing. Guten Nact!
*This is Friday, August 8th's Post*

No comments:
Post a Comment